ESL peer consultation can be a wonderful experience if you have:
- an interest in working with people from different cultures
- career interests in languages, cross-cultural teaching, or other helping professions
- experience traveling or living abroad (or plan to do so)
The pay rate is $19 per hour. The work is flexible -- it is up to you and your consultee to determine where, when, and for how long you meet. Most consultees are graduate students.
To be an ESL peer consultant, you must meet the following requirements:
- native or high fluency in English
- speak at least one language other than English
- have earned an A- or better in at least one academic course
- a degree candidate in Harvard College, GSAS, HGSE, or HKS.
As an ESL peer consultant, you are required to:
- attend an orientation/training session at the beginning of the academic year
- work with a minimum of two consultees concurrently throughout the academic year
- participate in monthly group meetings with program supervisors
- provide your consultee(s) with at least 24 hours notice if you need to cancel a session
Please refer to the ESL Peer Consultant Handbook for more detailed information on becoming a peer consultant.
ESL Peer Consultation Application Process
Applications for ESL Peer Consultant positions are accepted at the beginning of the fall term (late August/early September). We typically accept 10-12 consultants per year.
The BSC is not accepting ESL Consultant Applications at this time.