The Language of Life and LearningTM is...
- a deck of 700 cards with words and images to help college students and other users capture and convey their experiences of life and learning
- a booklet of exercises designed to serve as catalysts for conversation and communication
Conversations about our thoughts and feelings are important because…
- opportunities to explore and share one’s experiences are a core principle in college student development 
- precision in the use of language is a key factor in college student learning 
- effective communication about one’s concerns and feelings in a supportive environment helps to relieve stress , facilitate adjustment and adaptation , and contribute to resilience 
- communication competence is associated with college students’ academic success and persistence 
- the integration of emotion and cognition is an essential aspect of health brain development during the adolescent and young adult years 
Intended users include…
- peer advisers, peer mentors, peer counselors, peer tutors
- athletes, teams, captains, coaches, trainers
- student affairs professionals
- members of a professional field
Appropriate contexts include…
- team-building activities
- problem-solving meetings
- any meeting intended to deepen the level of conversation among participants
A word of caution and common sense...
Encouraging genuine communication potentially opens the door to rude, inappropriate, angry, distressed, or simply ineffective communication. The Language of Life and LearningTM deck and exercises are intended to be used in structured settings with facilitators who can provide boundaries, interventions, and assistance for ensuring a safe and supportive context for communication.
© 2014 2016 President and Fellows of Harvard College. “The Language of Life and Learning” is a trademark of the President and Fellows of Harvard College. Graphic design by Graciela Galup.